Saturday, January 9, 2010

Making Baby Food

This week I started making Berkley's baby food. Once he had gotten used to rice cereal, I figured it was time to add some other foods. So far I've made sweet potatoes (which he loves) & green peas (jury's still out).
The Babycook is a simple machine that steams, processes and defrosts the baby food all in one- it couldn't be easier, and it's actually a pretty quick process as well. I love being able to use organic fruits & veggies to make baby food at a fraction of the cost for store-bought jars.
Obviously, we're still in the very early stages of baby food making, so I'll keep posting as I get more and more ambitious with Berkley's meals.
So far it's pretty fun & simple.

Cut the food into chunks & place them in the steam basket inside the processing container. No other ingredients are required.It takes about 15 minutes or so to steam the food with just a small amount of water in the machine.After the food is steamed, dump the chunks of food into the processor bowl, blend for a few seconds and voila!
Fill the tray with the puree, place the cover & let it hang out in the freezer. (Once these are frozen, I pop them into ziploc bags and reuse the container to make a different type of food.)Pop the frozen food out of the tray, put in a bowl, place that in the Babycook & it reheats in no time. I usually get this process started right before giving Berkley a bottle. By the time he has finished his bottle, the food is ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment